What ideas help me be closer to my baby and start me on the journey to raising a playful tot?
Today on the Raising Playful Tots show, I talk to Blythe Lipman, author of Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions , and radio host at Toginet with her show: Baby and toddler
- download the MP3 file for this podcast here . Or
- directly by clicking subscribe through iTunes. Or
- hear via your iphone, Android or smartphone. Or
- clicking the link below
Listen to this week’s show
- What are the benefits of establishing routines and rhythm for the baby and parent? How does it help in raising a playful tot?
- Babies are active and alert for such short periods of time what’s the best way to be playful with them?
- We had a really successful time during nappy ( diaper) changing when my son was kicking his legs and he kicked the plastic wet wipes container. Bath time is traditionally the time for play with babies but what about other times?
Win a copy of Blythe’s book!
The book is full of bite-sized advice and practical ideas about baby. The title says it all. It’s the type of book I wish I had found when mine were a baby. It would make a great baby shower gift or birth gift and there’s lots of advice for that important first year…just for the reassurance alone. You can find Blythe’s book in all major bookshops.
How to enter
- Contact me ( email, contact form,comment on this post) with the message, ” I’d like to win Help! My Baby came without instructions.”
The following entries are optional
- During all the routines you do with baby; when is your favourite time for play and bonding?
- Like us on Facebook
- Join us on Twitter
- Subscribe in iTunes or through Stitcher
Contest is open worldwide to those who would like this book for themselves or gifting to others.
Two winners will be picked at random and contacted for address details using the valid email you leave to enter the contest. The book will be sent to you. You need to reply to the notification email within 48 hours otherwise new winners will be chosen and your entry becomes void.
This contest needs more than two entries to run. Entry is based on contacting me according to the “How to Enter” listed above. Additional entries above will count if a separate comment is left on this page for each entry. Additional entries are optional. One entry per household. Winner wins ONE book. Two books are on offer.
Contest closes Sunday 17th April 2011 23:59 BST
Post your comments after you’ve listened to the show below to give back to our guest. We’re all interested in your opinion and thoughts.
Find out more about Blythe’s book
Connect with Blythe on Twitter
Connect with Blythe on Facebook
Connect with Blythe’s Podcast
Buy Blythe’s book and many others in our Amazon Store
If you enjoyed today’s show please tell your friends.
Have your say::
“Like” us on Facebook
Join in with the topic of the week from the Podcast
Call from the UK 0203 286 7109 | Call from the US 512 827-0505 ext 3998 leave a voicemail.
I’m excited to welcome Tara McClintick of Books by Tara.com She’s an author, Early Childhood Special Education teacher and mother to two boys. Tara is “…passionate about all children, and I have total respect for the miraculous development process and the challenges today’s kids face in our fast-moving, stimulus-bombarding world”.
Listen to the interview below by pressing the triangle button under the photographs. You can download and listen to this interview on your PC and/or MP3 player whenever you choose. For easy of use you can also subscribe to the Raising Playful Tots podcast through iTunes ( link on the sidebar). Each new episode will automatically download.
Contact Tara for more information about any of the items we talk about in the show.
Why we liked Tara’s books
- They are easy to use and the children all recognized the photographs.
- They were fascinated by the pictures and what they could see. Just getting them out of the envelope was exciting. Mail is always exciting when it’s not a bill. While I got each one out the boys each ran off with them before I even got a chance to look at them.
- Picture and photo books with great emotion. Do you know how hard it is to find books with recognizable emotion for kids?
- Durable- with three little hands including a baby. Everyone gets to look without fear of tearing.
- This could be your home. Children love looking through albums and this is no different.
- Changes the way they see things and prompts discussion. My boys were pointing out holes for days afterwards.
All Books By Tara:
- Promote awareness, thinking, and language development
- Are 20 pages in length
- Include an introductory poem
- Include 19 pages of 8 X 10 photographs
- Are printed on gloss cover paper
- Are spiral bound (great for isolating pictures)
Winners: Dana|Janet| Lisa R
Tara sent me copies of her books to review before our interview which we got to keep. I’m recommending them to you because they represent what we talk about here- raising playful tots. These books are ones you would want in your collection because they invite you to talk and share. I have three children under 7 and they all have loved using these books and keep coming back and looking at them again.
She’s kindly offered 4 books for 4 readers.
How to enter
- Visit Tara’s site and sign up for the newsletter
- Come back here and let us know which book you would like to win in the comments.
- You must sign up for the newsletter and tell us which book to be entered to win.
- Bonus: Every month there is a free drawing for a book in the newsletter so if you don’t win one of the 4 books at Raising Playful Tots you have a chance in Tara’s newsletter!
Extra entries (Optional)
- Sign up for the Raising Playful Tots newsletter. Leave 2 separate comments
- Tweet your favourite wordless picture book title to me @playactivities ( 1 comment)
- Follow Tara on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway with @BooksByTara in it. ( 1 comment)
- Display the Raising Playful Tots button on your site ( 1 comment)
- Open to US residents and Canada.
- Void where prohibited.
- Open today. Contest closes on Wednesday 14th April 2010 Midnight MST.
- Winners chosen at random. ( Those that followed the rules)
- Winners names will be published on this blog Thursday 15th April 2010. I’ll send you an email once you’ve replied.
- Tara will be shipping to the winners.
- Up to 4 books on offer. One prize per household please.
About the books
“The books have been created to engage children, to provide an open-ended focus for social connections. Any child can enjoy them, and they are especially beneficial for working young children and/or older kids who are working on attention and communication skills. We can talk about using them for group discussions and/or connecting one-on-one with a child who has significant challenges such as autism. The design is basic and flexible, so they can be adjusted. I have teaching experience with groups as well as tons of one-on-one experience with some very tough customers (tough to engage their attention) especially my son! The latter is really where the inspiration for the books came, but my experience of knowing what appeals to children is how I choose the “topics” and photos.”
Listen to the show now by clicking on the triangle button in this post.
|Start a conversation about this show in our community….|
This show is part of the moms talk radio network
Part two of the interview with Caro Webster @salisburydowns about Outdoor play
We talk today about Outdoor play activities by balancing indoor and outdoor play.
Imaginary play outside?
Listen to the podcast by clicking the triangle play button located at the bottom of this post
I was very much encouraged to go and play outside. I remember the scuff marks on my shoes because I used my feet to stop and not my brakes. I remember being outside a lot growing up. I did the bulk of my growing up in a small village then small town so we were never far away from being in farmland. The boys have grown up firstly in a very small village and right now in a city suburb. I know I have felt out of my depth with outdoor activities. Whether you have moved or are looking for interesting things to do outside. I know how easy it might be for us to be outside but sometimes it’s hard to motivate the little ones to stay out for long periods of time. Some can and some need a little help.
The photographs in Caroline’s book, Small Fry Outdoors really bring the ideas to light. After listening to both interviews you’ll get a sense of the type of activities to expect in this book.
I’ve really enjoyed our copy as a coffee table book and as an ideas book.
*********** This contest is now closed and winner notified***********
Two books on offer today. Both books were kindly sent by Caro from Australia for two winners.
- Send an email to info AT raising playful tots DOT com telling us a new outdoor activity you would like to try or a successful outdoor experience.
For an additional entry
- Tweet your favourite outdoor activity: @playactivities
This contest is open to those with US or Canadian addresses.
Void where prohibited.
Contest is open today, Wednesday 15 February and closes Midnight Tuesday 23rd February 2010 MST.
Winner is chosen by random.org.
Winner is contacted via email.
Winner must reply with postal address within 48hrs otherwise a new winner will be chosen.
Looking forward to your entries……………………..
This show is part of the moms talk radio network